Friday, November 23, 2012

What I learned from 22 days of gratitude

This month, I participated in the Mused 22 Days of Gratitude - November Creativity Challenge. The mission was for participants to take a picture every day for 22 days which depicted something we are grateful for in our lives, and post the pictures to a shared photo album on the event page. I'm really glad I decided to take on this challenge because it was a real learning experience for me.

I dutifully took a photo every day for 22 days. If you would like to see my photos, you can visit my Facebook album. Firstly, I learned that I was not nearly as grateful as I should have been, or perhaps I was simply not as aware as I should have been of the things that I have to be grateful for in my life. It was actually challenging for me at first to find things that I was grateful for. It felt like I should be picking something monumental, but as a few days passed, I realized that I could be grateful for any little thing that came to mind.

I also learned that it was not difficult to take a photo every day for the same sort of reason I noted above: I had a mindset that something had to be "important" to be worthy of taking a photo. This may have been related to the fact that I never really saw taking photos as a creative pursuit for myself. I did it to document events in my life only.

I took all my photos and did all my editing on my iPhone, so I also learned a lot about my phone's camera. Plus, since I wanted to get a bit creative with my photos, I downloaded some of the many apps that are out there. Some were duds, but some of the ones that I really like are FrameUrLife and the Adobe Photoshop App. I'm going to continue checking out apps and experimenting with them.

Anyway, I'm really glad that I did this. It helped me to be more creative every day, it helped me to realize that I have a lot to be grateful for in my life and I will definitely be watching to see what other challenges Mused comes up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment