Monday, August 6, 2012

Safe and yummy chocolate chip cookies

Huh, it's been awhile since I've posted here. One thing I've been busy with is learning how to cook well while avoiding a bunch of food intolerances. I never baked much before, but one thing I'm a sucker for is a great home baked chocolate chip cookie. After much experimentation with ingredients, I have a recipe that is gluten-free*, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free and sugar-free. Sounds awful, eh? But these are really great cookies. The recipe is based on Chef Michael Smith's recipe and it's fantastic. I've included links to the ingredients I used where possible. This recipe made 24 small cookies.

1 cup gluten free baking flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour**
1/2 cup coconut sap sugar
1/4 t salt
2 T honey
1 egg (replacer)
2 T warm water
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 cup chocolate chips


  1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
  2. Mix all ingredients except the chocolate chips thoroughly. 
  3. Stir in the chocolate chips. 
  4. Drop mix by the spoonful onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. 
  5. Bake for about 13 minutes, or when the edges of the cookies have slightly browned. 

Notes:

*When I say sugar-free, I mean no granulated white cane sugar, and no "brown" sugar, which is really just white sugar died with molasses.

**I tried making these with just the gluten-free baking flour and they were too hard. The buckwheat flour seems to keep them chewier.




No comments:

Post a Comment