Sunday, March 20, 2011

Weekly Wonders - March #3

Newsletter
In these days of RSS, Twitter, and the like, newsletters seem so quaint. But I think they still have their place, and there's still lots of good ones around. One that I was undecided about is Ref Desk's Site of the Day, because I felt like I've seen it at all, and have so much coming at me already. However, it's a great little email and one of the few that I read every day. They always remind me of a web site I haven't been to in a long time and there's always something useful to read.

Event
I've mentioned The Moth a couple of times on my blog, but if you're local, you should check out Toronto's monthly MothUp. It's a live event, held at a cute little place called No One Writes To The Colonel at 460 College near Bathurst. Basically, there is a theme each month and people sign up to tell stories on that theme at the event. I have yet to tell a story, but I love listening. I can't say all of them will be "great," but it's always a good time. NOTE: you MUST get there before 7 or you will not get in.

Movie
We saw Another Year yesterday at  Carlton Cinema, and I'm still undecided on it. I loved the main characters, but felt depressed by all the others. It's a simple story that revolves around one British couple and a year of their lives, including life events of their friends and family. Ruth Sheen does a lovely job of the Gerri character, and as my husband put it, we could all take relationship lessons from her.

Pub
We visited the Auld Spot Pub last Tuesday, and we both had the fish 'n chips. It is truly the best I've had in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment