I had my bi-annual craving for Cream of Tomato soup earlier but didn't want to go outside, so I made some, in about 10 minutes, and it was excellent. A little while after that, we both had the munchies, and again, neither of us wants to go outside, so I made them. In the microwave. Really. They were great! I thought the microwave might have a fit because it normally only makes popcorn. But not commercial microwave popcorn, because that stuff will kill you. We make this instead.
Quick Cream of Tomato Soup
1 finely chopped onion
1 finely chopped clove of garlic
1 bay leaf
1 T of olive oil
1 bottle stewed, strained tomatoes
1 T of butter
1 can of 2% evaporated milk
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a large pot over low heat, just until the onion is soft.
- Add the bay leaf and stir the pot for about 2 minutes. You just want the flavour. Then remove the bay leaf. Add the bottle of tomatoes to the pot, and let the pot come to a simmer.
- Add the butter and let it melt.
- Add the can of milk and stir well.
- Optional - give it a whiz with a hand blender. I might not bother next time.
- Serve and enjoy.
Microwave Potato Chips
- Slice 3 medium potatoes very thinly. I used my mandolin, and it took a bit of time.
- Lay the slices in a single layer on a piece of parchment paper that will fit in your microwave.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Lay the parchment paper on the bottom of your microwave. I have a turntable and it worked fine.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes, or until brown spots start to appear. You'll need to do a test batch.
- Let cool and enjoy.