Monday, August 2, 2010

Mounting prints on stretched canvas



On our first anniversary last year, we bought a calendar in Qubec City, featuring vintage, French olive oil ads. Halfway through the year I knew I couldn't part with these pictures, and wanted to do something with them. I originally had some black and white framed photos on the dining room wall and thought it was rather blah looking. So, I came up with this idea of scanning the pictures, mounting them on stretched canvases and hanging them on the wall. I'm pretty happy with it, and I've thought of a few other ideas I'm going to try.

On to the project! You will need these things:


  • Computer image editing software - Photoshop or Gimp etc.
  • Printer and scanner (if not using digital images)
  • Stretched canvases in a size close to that of the original photos
  • Package of clear printable lable sheets
  • Paper trimmer
  • Scissors
  • Decorative tape - I used black masking tape
  • Source of artwork - this could be anything, and it could be digital images

And here's what you need to do:

  1. Scan your pictures if required.
  2. Using the image editor, resize your pictures as close as possible to the size of the stretched canvases. For example, my canvases are 8"X10", so that is the size I made the images. This was a slight adjustment, so I did not need to worry about distortion of the pictures.
  3. Print the images on the clear lable sheets and LET THEM DRY for a few minutes.
  4. Carefully peel off the paper backing and stick the label to the canvas.

Optional - finish the edges to your liking. I used decorative tape.


And here they are on the wall:

No comments:

Post a Comment