Monday, July 26, 2010

Crockpot gyros!

Inspired by an old friend, I've had the idea for making my own gyros on my mind for sometime. I was saving the idea for summer, when I could do the final stretch of cooking on the grill. When we learned we would be backyard-less for the best weeks of summer, this was one of the many things I lamented.

Until I stumbled on this! It's crockpot gyros!

http://rainydaygal.com/?p=323

I made a few minor adjustments:

1. I did not use lamb, only because I could not find it on my way home. I used 2 pounds of lean ground beef.

2. I figured my gyros might be lacking in flavour due to having no lamb, so I put the onion and garlic in the meat in the food processor. I also added a good bit of crushed red chili pepper and rosemary.

3. I did not put onion and garlic in the bottom of the crockpot because I knew we would not eat it.

4. I put one egg in to help it all mix together.

Also, when we ate it, we had it with green salad, tomato, cucumber, tabouli salad and tzaziki on our plates, instead of having it as a sandwich.

It was delicious and I highly recommend crockpot gyros for indoor summer cooking. No oven required, no hotter house.

No comments:

Post a Comment