Friday, November 27, 2009

"Frosted" windows

I have a fairly large wreath on our front door all year round, which I redecorate with the seasons and holidays. When I hung the wreath I made last night, I realized that the window in our door was quite exposed, due to the new wreath being smaller. So, as if stringing 118 Christmas ornaments onto a coat hanger wasn't enough craftiness for one night, I "frosted" the window using clear Contact paper.


It was challenging to take a picture of the window and this was the best I could get.

I have seen this idea on someone's blog but I can not find the link. The woman created some lovely designs for her windows and even used this method on her daughter's bedroom window.

This is a very simple project. About the Contact paper, they do make ones that are labelled "frosted" but they have a design on them. The clear paper is concealing enough when you put it on the glass. I bought mine at Canadian Tire for around $4.

I wanted to leave some clear spaces in the design because we do actually need to see out the window to see who is at the door.All I did was measure the width of the window, less half an inch (to get the empty space at the sides), and then I cut bands of the Contact paper in different widths. I cleaned the window and stuck the paper on, and that was it. It took me about 15 minutes.

You could do any kind of design and could use this to decorate a mirror as well. Big circles in different sizes on a window would be cool, as would any shape. It would also be interesting to cut a piece of paper the full size of the window, and cut little shapes into it. I have a vague idea for decorating our bathroom window this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment