Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Live downtown? Stop grocery shopping! You heard me.

I'm sure this is mainly possible due to where we live, but we've basically stopped grocery shopping. Once a week, when we're together, we pick up pet food and other bigger items, such as a bag of rice and such. I do keep some staples on hand. But as for what we eat every day, we usually decide each day and I pick up the requirements on my way home from work. I pass 3 small grocery stores on my way. Here in Chinatown, fruits and vegetables are ridiculously cheap, and surprisingly, over the last year, I am seeing more organic items in this area.

I think this is approach helping the planet because:
  • we are not using electricity to refrigerate a lot of food in our home,
  • we are supporting local, smaller businesses rather than big corporations,
  • we are walking rather than taking transit or a taxi to pick up food, and,
  • we throw away considerably less spoiled or unwanted food.

I think this approach is helping us because:

  • we eat at home more,
  • we use our own bags every time,
  • we're walking more, and,
  • we are saving money on wasting less food.
If you can, give it a shot. Even if you don't live in an urban area, you might work in one, and perhaps you could pick up your daily foods on your lunch or after work before heading home.

By the way, this morning I woke up at 8:12 and was at my desk at the office by 8:58. Yes, I showered, dressed, and walked to work. Someone remind me why living downtown is a bad idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment