Tuesday, May 12, 2009

White Bean Crostini (aka Beans on Toast)

We took our mom to High Park on Sunday for Mother's Day. There is a cute little organic Farmer's Market there, where I scored with a basket of Canadian, organic tomatoes for $1. I also bought a planter already planted with various herb plants for the patio. That evening, I fell and sprained my ankle, thus kicking off what is proving to be a boring and challenging few days on the sofa. I have been trying to come up with a few fast, healthy meals that don't require a lot of standing. Think of this one as a Mediterranean nod to good 'ol beans on toast.

A quick note on beans: I used a can of Eden Foods white beans. Eden Foods does not line cans with plastic containing BPA, and the beans are organically grown. Hence, I keep an eye out for Eden Foods products, which are starting to show up in the organic grocery aisles of major grocery stores.

1 can white beans
4 med. sized tomatoes, chopped
1 small white onion
2 cloves garlic
handful of chopped fresh herbs (I used oregano, parsley and basil)
1 loaf of crusty French bread
olive oil
firm feta cheese, crumbled

1. Saute the onion in olive oil until it just starts to become translucent.
2. Add tomatoes, garlic, beans and another slurp of olive oil to the pan. Cook until the tomatoes start to soften.
3. Add the garlic and herbs to the pan and cook until the herbs start to wilt.
4. Slice 4 pieces of bread, sprinkle both sides with olive oil and toast. I did this in the toaster oven but you could also to it under the broiler in your oven.
5. Spread the beans on the toast and sprinkle on the feta cheese on top.

I had 2 pieces with a simple salad and it was a great dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment