Saturday, May 23, 2009

Jamaican Slush

My grandmother often made something she called "slush." It was simply ground beef and chopped onions with lots of black pepper, with a bit of flour and water mixed together for a gravy. She served it with boiled potatoes and it was one of my favourite dishes of hers. In fact, whenever I smell ground beef and onions cooking together, I think of her.

I have also encountered something similar in east coast homes called "hamburger stew." It is basically the same nana's slush, with the addition of chopped carrot, potato and sometimes peas or corn.

When I first got know Jamaican spices and seasonings, and was trying to figure out what to cook for my husband, I made something that is a cross between slush and hamburger stew, with the addition of dry jerk seasoning. I make a big batch of this at least once a month and it does us for a few days. I usually serve it with rice and peas.

2lbs extra lean ground beef
2-3 new potatoes, peeled and cubed
2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large or 2 small onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
4 tablespoons dry Jerk seasoning
2 tablespoons browning
2 cups water
3 tablespoons flour
salt and pepper

1. Brown the ground beef. Add the onions and fry until translucent.
2. Mix flour and water and add to pan.
3. Add carrot, potato, garlic and Jerk seasoning.
4. Cook on medium heat until vegetables are soft.
5. Stir in browning and let simmer for about a half an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment