Saturday, May 23, 2009

Ingredients

Browning - This is a thick liquid that you can use to add wonderful colour to meat and meat dishes. It is also used in making fruit cake to give it a deep brown colour. It is slightly sweet, and go easy on it until you get to know how much you actually need for your dish. I have been using Grace brand as long as I've been using it.

Chili Garlic Paste - I love this stuff and it ends up in most things I cook. It lends a nice amount of heat and good garlic flavour, without being over-powering on either front. You can find it in the Asian foods section of most grocery stores.

Jerk - Jerk is an amazingly flavourful mixture of spices that is especially good with chicken and other meats. You can buy Jerk seasoning in two forms, one is a paste and one is dry. The pastes tend to have more heat, and do not think of it as a marinade. If you use the paste, you can create a marinade by pairing it with olive oil and lime juice. I also tend to add more garlic and thyme. The dry seasoning can also be used to create a marinade, but I've found I like to use it in lots of dishes to add a flavour boost and it is nice sprinkled on meat that you are going to roast. Recommendations - Mr. Goudas for dry, Walker's Woods for paste.

Newman's Own Dressings - I use these dressings because they are lighter on soy oil, and some varieties have none at all. If you want to read about some of the concerns with eating a lot of soy, check out this article. Furthermore, there are several organic options, and all of the profits from sales of these dressings go to charity. Yes, I know I can easily make my own dressings, and sometimes I do, but sometimes, a bottled dressing is just easier.

Pasta - We're all concerned about processed carbohydrates. What you don't hear too often is that pasta is actually takes a long time to break down in your body, and therefor, it does not cause a huge spike in blood sugar the way we're often told by The Diet People. Now, I'm talking about good pasta here. If you're going to eat it, spend a little more on it and steer yourself to brands like Barilla and Vita Sana. These pastas are made from high-quality wheat flour and water, and that's about it.

Tuna - Some of us have concerns about eating tuna, due to some information they've gathered about the mercury content. As I understand it, Skipjack Tuna has the lowest mercury content, and also, tuna caught in European waters. You can read more about this issue, and also check out how much tuna you can "safely" eat here, and while you're at it, check out some of the great information offered on this web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment